Especially if you have an “HR Department of 1” and are perhaps new to HR and Recruiting, I’ve developed this simple checklist to keep you on-track as you start the candidate search process.
Pre-Candidate (Recruiting) Stage
(for Organizations with Internal Recruiters)
- Hiring Manager receives approval to fill / backfill position
- Hiring Manager and Recruiter partner to ensure Job Description is revised as needed
- Recruiter confirms appropriate Salary Range equity (internal and external)
- Recruiter posts Job Opening (remember your Employee Referral Program)
- Perhaps “Post” on Company Bulletin Board?
- Recruiter and Hiring Manager both post Job Opening on her/his LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and other posting options (niche sites; University job boards; etc.)
- Recruiter posts on various external sites (both Free and Fee-based), per Job- or Industry-specific needs
- Typically, start with your Company’s site.
- You can find dozens of free sites available, including each State’s DOL, SimplyHired, Indeed, ResumeBucket, Goggle+, etc.
- When Internal and/or Free Recruiting is slow or ineffective, your Recruiter should connect with Job- or Industry-specific Headhunters
- Also post on “paid” job boards
- Recruiting receives and reviews resumes
- Recruiting sends “initially-approved” resumes to Hiring Manager for review. S/he gives OK for Initial candidate list
- Recruiting starts Initial Phone Screen interviews
- Based on results of Phone screen interviews, Recruiting and Hiring Manager develop final slate of Candidates
- Recruiting is responsible for setup of on-site Interviews, including ensuring each Interviewer has Interview Guide materials
- Hiring Manager, and others interviews in person; if good job fit, candidate continues process
- Recapping with all Interviewers, Recruiting leads Discussion and Decision Process
- Recruiting to call each Candidate not chosen to move forward in the Interviewing process, thanks them for their interest in Company, and wishes them well (do this within 3 business days)
- Note that your Recruiter should be providing Hiring Managers weekly progress reports